MYSA Rec Uniform Information
MYSA Uniform Coordinator: Dana Huffman - [email protected] – 336-380-5129
With the announcement of the MYSA’s new corporate partner, The Museum of Life and Science, there will be some significant changes in how the MYSA handles team sponsorship and uniforms. All team managers and coaches should familiarize themselves with this information to ensure you understand the new process for obtaining sponsors AND uniforms. Deadlines will be tight to ensure we can get uniforms here in time for the first matches. Starting with the Fall 2011 season, the following changes will take effect:
- Team sponsorship will be more consistent. Sponsoring a team will require a minimum financial donation which will ensure the team can be outfitted in a full uniform (jersey, shorts, and socks)
- Any amount donated in excess of the minimum amount can be used at the discretion of the sponsor for things like team equipment, end of season awards, trophies, financial aid, etc.
- All uniforms will be ordered through the MYSA. Colors much be unique per division and are awarded on a first come/first serve basis.
- U5-U10 uniforms will have the Museum of Life and Science logo on the front and their team sponsor logo or name on the back shoulder area. This allows us to have a much lower cost of sponsorship for our younger teams (costs have dropped from $300+ per team to $150-$225 per team). U12-U18 uniforms will have their team sponsor logo on the front of the jersey.
- Two coaches jerseys will be included with every team uniform order.
- Players will NOT be able to choose jersey numbers ahead of time. Jerseys will be numbered in sequential order at the factory.
- Uniforms will be used for two years or four seasons following the sponsorship donation. ALL uniforms must be returned at the end of each season.
- Players who do not turn in their original uniform will be charged a fee to cover the cost or they will not be allowed to play in future seasons. Substitute shorts will NOT be accepted.
- Each team and their sponsor will have a sponsorship agreement which lays out the terms and expectations of the sponsorship.
- Parents will agree to the uniform ‘loan’ as part of their parent contract submitted annually (this will be done online).
- For the Fall 2011/Spring 2012 seasons - U12-U18 teams who have uniforms that were purchased for the Fall 2010 or Spring 2011 seasons will be able to continue to use those uniforms for the Fall 2011/Spring 2012 seasons. All other teams will have to get new uniforms!
- Uniforms will not be used more than two years.
Complete details on how sponsorship and uniforms will be handled can be found in the MYSA Sponsorship Guidelines.
Given the reduced cost per team for U5-U10 age teams, some sponsors may ask to sponsor more than one team. If your sponsor expresses interest in this, please alert our sponsorship AND uniform coordinators ASAP!
- How early can I order uniforms?
Uniforms can be ordered as soon as you receive a verbal commitment from a sponsor. The earlier the better! We encourage you to start thinking about the style you may want earlier – but make sure your sponsor knows about it. Some sponsors like to choose the style and/or color.
- Can we use our old uniforms?
U5-U10 teams will not be able to use old uniforms as the logos must be changed. U12-U18 teams may reuse old uniforms from last year. We encourage teams/sponsors to consider donating usable uniforms to the US Soccer Passback Program.
- Can my sponsor buy the uniforms on their own?
No. All uniforms must be ordered through the league.
- What happens to the uniforms after each season?
They are collected by each team manager and turned in to the league.
- Who gets the uniforms in subsequent seasons?
This is up to the sponsor. Uniforms can follow a sponsor’s child, or if they have no child on the team, follow the coach. Otherwise they’ll be reassigned to another team if the team that used them previously breaks up. However, uniforms cannot move from U10 up to U12 under any circumstances (they probably would not fit anyway). The goal is to have U10 uniforms ordered when a team starts at the ‘U9′ age and have the uniforms ‘expire’ after the U10 year for a sponsor’s child.
- Can I pick any uniform I want?
Uniforms must be selected from the preapproved styles from Score Sports OR you can use USYSA promotional uniforms if you have them.
- Can we have yellow uniforms?
Yes, at any age level. Referees are now required to have at least two different color shirts.
- Why is sponsorship of older teams more expensive?
U5-U10 team uniforms are partially subsidized by our corporate partner so the cost per uniform for the individual team sponsor is lower. U12-U18 teams are not subsidized, plus the older teams are larger which means more uniforms must be purchased per team compared to a 3v3 team.
- What if I can’t find a sponsor?
It is up to each individual team to find sponsorship for their uniforms. The league tries to assist where it can, but cannot handle sponsor recruitment for all 90+ teams. If you cannot obtain a sponsor, you will not get uniforms, just like previous years. So do not assume you can ignore recruiting a team sponsor. All teams need to have a sponsor, just like any previous year.
- Can one team have two sponsors?
U5-U10 teams cannot. U12-U18 teams can to lower the cost per sponsor.
- What if my sponsor wants to support a 2nd team?
That’s great! Just let the sponsorship and uniform coordinator know ASAP so they can coordinate the uniform styles and numbers.
- When should uniforms be collected?
Uniforms should be collected either after the last match (tell players to bring a change of clothes) or at your end of season party (risky as not all parents will attend) You need to be vigilant once your season is over to get all the uniforms back.
- What about socks?
Socks are included with each uniform kit and can be kept by the players – who will be expected to use them for two years if they play for the team that long. Players new to a team that get used jerseys and shorts will get new socks from the MYSA. Returning players who lose their socks or want extra sets can buy them for $5 a pair through the MYSA.
- What if I won USYSA/Degree Jerseys?
If you won jerseys through the USYSA/Degree Jersey Giveaway, you can absolutely use them for your team as long as there are enough jerseys for the size of your team. For U5-U10 age teams, the MYSA will purchase shorts and socks in a color of your choosing (subject to approval) and your jerseys may not have numbers on the back. However, you MUST alert the Uniform Coordinator and get the uniforms to them so they can be screened with our corporate sponsor’s logo. Your U5-U10 team cannot have a ‘team sponsor’ with the USYSA jerseys unless they make the required contribution. In that case where your U5-U10 team already has a sponsor, we’d suggest donating the USYSA jerseys to a team that can’t get a sponsor and your team can get full Score kits. For U12-U18 teams, you will not get shorts and socks unless parents agree to pay $15 each for them.
- What if I won USYSA jerseys and can’t use them?
Please give them to the MYSA Uniform Coordinator so we can use them for other teams.