MYSA U8 Recreational Soccer Rules of the Game
Field Of Play
Dimensions: The field shall be rectangular, with minimum dimensions of 50 yards long by 35 yards wide and maximum dimensions of 55 yards long and 40 yards wide.
- Distinctive lines no more than 5″ wide.
- Midfield line extending across the entire field at the midpoint of each sideline.
- A circle with a radius of 8 yards shall extend from the mid point of the midfield line
- Each corner shall have an arc with a minimum radius of ONE (1) yard
- A goal box starting 6 yards from each goal post and extending into the field of play 6 yards.
- A penalty box starting 10 yards from each goal post and extending into the field of play 10 yards.
- A dashed parent boundary line shall run the entire length of spectator side of the field 1-2 yards from the touch line
- A team technical area starting at a point 1 yard away from the touch line and 5 yards from midfield and extending 8 yards parallel to the touchline and 2 yards away from the field.
- A substitution box located 1 yard away from the touchline, extending 2 yards away from midfield in both directions parallel to the touchline and extending 1 yard back.
Goals: Goals shall be 6 to 6.5 feet high and 18 feet across and must be anchored to the field by no less than three goal anchors.
Corner Markings: Corners shall be marked with regulation corner flags.
Ball: All matches shall be played with a size three (3) ball of official size and weight.
Number of Players: The maximum number of players on the field per team shall not exceed six (6) including the goalkeeper. Matches may be played with a minimum of 5 players so long as each team has an equal number of players on the field. If a team cannot field 5 players it shall forfeit the match. The maximum roster size shall be 12 with a recommended size of 10.
Match Length: Matches will consist of two 25 minute halves with a 5 minute half time. No time-outs are allowed. Referee’s may add time to the match for injuries, substitutions, and time wasting, however the clock will continue to run.
Referees: One center referee must be scheduled for each match. Three referees (a head referee and two line judges) may be scheduled at the discretion of the Referee Coordinator for training purposes. Any referee substitutions (Parent, coach from a team not playing) may only be done with the approval of both coaches.
Spectators: All spectators must sit on the opposite side of the field from the teams. Spectators must sit behind the dashed parent boundary line. Parents/Coaches may not stand anywhere along the end of the field.
Offsides: Offside will not be enforced in U8 matches.
Slidetackles/Playing on the Ground: Slidetackles or sliding of any kind is NOT allowed under any circumstances, except by keepers making saves. Slides will result in an indirect kick for the opposite team. Repeated sliding is grounds for a yellow or red card. Players may NOT play a ball while on the ground – this creates a dangerous situation and will result in possession being given to the opposing team with an indirect free kick. This includes sliding saves.
Start of Play: Field sides shall be chosen by coin toss with the visiting team calling the toss. The team which wins the coin toss shall choose which goal to attack in the first half. The team losing the coin toss shall kick-off to start the game. Match play begins from the midfield hash mark and opposing players must remain outside the center field circle until the ball is kicked. Teams switch sides of the field for the second half with the team that won the coin toss kicking off.
Stoppage of Play:
- Play shall stop when the whole of the ball has crosses the touchline, goal line or has been whistled dead by the referee.
- A ball is considered out of bounds when the ENTIRE ball has crossed the boundary plane.
- Players who commit a foul while throwing the ball in shall be allowed one additional attempt.
- All fouls result in INDIRECT free kicks from the spot of the foul unless they occur inside the goal box. All fouls inside the goal box result in an indirect kick from the closest point along the TOP of the penalty box.
- Opposing players must remain behind midfield until the ball is kicked for a goal kick. If a player encroaches before the goal kick, the kick is retaken. If the player encroaches again, the kicking team receives an indirect kick at midfield.
- Opposing players must remain 6 yards or more away from all free and corner kicks until the ball is put into play.
- Players who fall on the ball are creating a dangerous situation of play. If a player falls on the ball during play, play is stopped and the OPPOSING team is given an indirect kick.
- Keepers may handle the ball anywhere inside the PENALTY box.
- Keepers are not allowed to punt the ball under any circumstances and must instead throw the ball back into play from inside the penalty area. Drop kicks violate the spirit of this rule and are strongly discouraged.
Scoring: A goal is scored when the ENTIRE ball crosses the goal line.
Substitution: Substitutions may be made by any team during any stoppages of play. Only players standing in the substitution box at the time the referee calls for substituties will be allowed to substitute (except in the case of substitutions for an injured player). Players not in the box at that time must wait until the next substitution opportunity.
Version 6.01 3/7/2011