MYSA U18/HS Recreational Soccer Rules of the Game
Field Of Play
Dimensions: The field shall be rectangular, with minimum dimensions of 100 yards long by 50 yards wide and maximum dimensions of 130 yards long and 100 yards wide.
- Distinctive lines no more than 5″ wide.
- Midfield line extending across the entire field at the midpoint of each sideline.
- A circle with a radius of 10 yards shall extend from the mid point of the midfield line
- Each corner shall have an arc with a minimum radius of ONE (1) yard
- A goal box starting 6 yards from each goal post and extending into the field of play 6 yards.
- A penalty box starting 18 yards from each goal post and extending into the field of play 18 yards.
- A 1 foot penalty kick hash mark shall be placed 12 yards from the middle of the goal line. This penalty mark is surrounded by an arc with a radius of 10 yards from the penalty mark drawn outside the penalty box.
- A dashed parent boundary line shall run the entire length of one side of the field 1-2 yards from the field boundary
- A team technical area starting at a point 1 yard away from the touch line and 5 yards from midfield and extending 8 yards parallel to the touchline and 2 yards away from the field.
- A substitution box located 1 yard away from the touchline, extending 2 yards away from midfield in both directions parallel to the touchline and extending 1 yard back
Goals: Goals shall be 8 feet high and 24 feet across and must be anchored to the field by no less than five goal anchors.
Corner Markings: Corners shall be marked with regulation corner flags or cones.
Ball: All matches shall be played with a size five (5) ball of official size and weight.
Number of Players: The maximum number of players on the field per team shall not exceed eleven (11) including the goalkeeper. Matches may be played with a minimum of 7 players so long as each team has an equal number of players on the field. If a team cannot field 6 players it shall forfeit the match. The maximum roster size shall be 18 with a goal of 15-16.
Match Length: Matches will consist of two 35 minute halves with a 5 minute half time. No time-outs are allowed. Referee’s may add time to the match for injuries, substitutions, and time wasting, however the clock will continue to run.
Referees: Three referees (a head referee and two line judges) shall be scheduled for each match. Games may be played with only one line judge if necessary. Any referee substitutions (Parent, coach from a team not playing) may only be done with the approval of both coaches.
Spectators: All spectators must sit on the opposite side of the field from the teams. Spectators must sit behind the dashed parent boundary line. Parents/Coaches may not stand anywhere along the end of the field.
Offsides: Normal FIFA Offsides Laws shall apply.
Slidetackles: Legal slidetackles are allowed per FIFA and USYS recommendations.
Start of Play: Field sides shall be chosen by coin toss with the visiting team calling the toss. The team which wins the coin toss shall choose which goal to attack in the first half. The team losing the coin toss shall kick-off to start the game. Match play begins from the midfield hash mark and opposing players must remain outside the center field circle until the ball is kicked. Teams switch sides of the field for the second half with the team that won the coin toss kicking off.
Stoppage of Play:
- Play shall stop when the whole of the ball has crossed the touchline, goal line or has been whistled dead by the referee.
- A ball is considered out of bounds when the ENTIRE ball has crossed the boundary plane.
- Opposing players must remain outside the PENALTY box during goal kicks.
- Opposing players must remain 10 yards or more away from all free and corner kicks.
- Players who fall on the ball are creating a dangerous situation of play. If a player falls on the ball during play, play is stopped and the OPPOSING team is given an indirect kick.
- Goalies may handle the ball anywhere inside the PENALTY box.
Substitution: Substitutions may be made by the team gaining possession during stoppages of play. A team that lost possession may only substitute if the other team also substitutes. Either team may initiate substitutions during goal kicks, in cases of injury, prior to the kickoff after a goal, or after halftime. Only players standing in the substitution box at the time the referee calls for substituties will be allowed to substitute (except in the case of substitutions for an injured player). Players not in the box at that time must wait until the next substitution opportunity.
Overtime: Matches tied at the end of regulation shall remain tied with each team being awarded one standings point. Tournament matches tied after regulation shall be decided by kicks from the mark. Each team will be allowed 5 shots from the penalty kick hash mark with each shot taken by a different player. Only the players on the field at the end of regulation may participate in the shoot out. If the match is still tied after the first 5 kicks, the match will be decided by sudden death kicks form the mark. Each team is allowed one kick from a player that has not shot before, with the match ending when one team has more points than the other at the end of each single kick sudden death round. Once all players on the field have kicked, teams may allow eligible players to kick a second time in the same order they kicked earlier. Per FIFA, when a team finishes the match with a greater number of players than their opponents, they shall reduce their numbers to equate with that of their opponents and inform the referee of the name and number of each player excluded. The team captain has this responsibility.
Version 6.00 2/28/2011