We Need Volunteers!League Wizard | July 5, 2010
Our league serves over 1,100 children a year at all levels of soccer. A common misconception is that the people who help run the league are paid (we’re not – only the referees and travel team trainers are) or that we’re a City of Mebane department (we’re not – we’re an independent non-profit corporation) So we rely on volunteers to not only coach our teams, but also help run the league. A lot of work goes into ensuring 1,100+ children can just show up and practice and/or play matches.
As the league grows, we need more and more help to keep things functioning. So I’m asking you to consider volunteering some time, either intermittently or long term to help the league. Below are many of the jobs we have available during the upcoming year:
- Concessions – we desperately need volunteers for concessions. 10% of the league’s budget comes from concessions, which helps us keep registration fees low. Instead of sitting watching your child practice or warmup before a match, offer to work in concessions during that time. If a few dozen people donated 1 hour a week, we’d have the stand open every time the fields were in use. Nobody is asked to work while their child is playing in a match. Email [email protected] to volunteer – you’ll be added to a mailing list and contacted when volunteers are needed.
- Coaches – we are always looking for coaches for our teams. We provide equipment and training – so you don’t have to be a soccer expert to get started. You just have to be good with kids! If you think you’d like to help teach soccer as a coach, contact our Director of Coaching at [email protected]
- Assistant Coaches – For those of you wanting to help with a team but who aren’t sure about being a ‘head’ coach – assisting is a great way to learn the ropes. Simply talk with your coach once rosters are published and offer to help.
- Team Managers – there is a lot of organization involved in a successful youth soccer team. Team managers ensure coaches can focus on player development while they handle the day to day operation of the team. So if you’re organized and want to help out – let your coach know you’d like to manage the team for them once the teams are announced!
- Fields – One of the #1 issues facing our league is fields. We’re forming a fields committee to focus not only on our existing fields, but also identifying and gaining access to other fields. If you think you can help in this area – let Chip Foushee know ([email protected]).
- We also need a Director of Fields. This person is responsible for organizing a team of volunteers to ensure the fields are ready for practices and matches. They also will be involved in field scheduling, layouts, etc. We also need volunteers to help out at the fields on game days. If you’re willing to help out with fields in any capacity – let me know at [email protected]
- Tournaments/Events – As our league grows, we’re hosting more events. This summer we’ll be hosting a large friendly tournament at the Eurosport soccer center and in the Spring we hope to host the new Recreation State Championship/Cup the NCYSA is putting togehter. We’ve also had sponsors looking to host events for teams and players. We’re looking for a Director of Events and Tournaments as well as volunteers to help with these events. The Director does NOT need a soccer background – you need to be well organized and have a knack for managing projects. You will oversee the events from planning to when they take place and the group of volunteers helping. If you’re interested in helping in this area as either the Director or an event volunteers, let me know at [email protected]
- Division Coordinators – Our recreation divisions are each managed by a coordinator who oversees the assignment of rosters and the development of practice and game schedules. They serve as their team and coach’s main contact within the league. Our goal this year is to have Division Coordinators who are 100% independent – they will oversee a division in which they do not coach or have a child playing. If you are interested in helping organize a division, contact Alan Huffman at [email protected]
- MYSA Board of Directors – We have three openings on our board of directors this year. Due to not achieving a quorum at our AGM, we’ll be holding the board election at the August coaches/managers meeting. Ideally board candidates have had players in soccer for a few years and understand the youth soccer landscape and what goes into it. However, anyone can run. Board members often serve in multiple volunteer roles and assist with various activities and events within the league as well as their formal duties as setting the overall direction and policy of the league.
As you can see, the MYSA is only as successful as it’s volunteers and there are a LOT of them and there is a lot of need. Please consider helping out. One reason our fees are so much less than other organizations is they often pay people to do many jobs within the league where we are able to use volunteers.